Green Sanctuary Committee Charter
The Green Sanctuary Committee was approved by the Standing Committee in the spring of 2011 as a new Annual Committee, whose purpose is to guide our congregation through the process of attaining Green Sanctuary Status through the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA). The following Charter was presented and approved.
The Green Sanctuary Committee will be established to help the Winchester Unitarian Society pursue the part of its mission in the area of environmental responsibility and to further affirm and promote the UU seventh principle, “Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.”
· To provide programs for both the Congregation and the wider community that will help integrate the UU Seventh Principle into our lives, both practically and spiritually.
· To guide the Congregation’s effort to seek and thereafter maintain accreditation as a Green Sanctuary.
• Build awareness of societal environmental issues among our congregants specifically and the community in general.
• Generate commitment for personal lifestyle changes.
• Motivate congregants to community action on environmental issues.
• Build a connection between spiritual practice and environmental consciousness.
• Build awareness of and help rectify environmental injustices.
• Celebrate and encourage our congregation’s implementation of sustainable practices and energy-use reductions.
• Attract new congregants who are interested in eco-spirituality, environmental issues, or sustainable living.
It is our intention to gain and maintain accreditation as a Green Sanctuary and through our efforts in the areas of eco-spirituality, environmental issues, and sustainable living through the ongoing efforts of the Winchester Unitarian Society Green Sanctuary Committee.
Click above for more information about the UUA Green Sanctuary Program